Peter Leo 艾尔顿 served as Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Richmond from 1945 until his death in 1958, establishing 42 parishes and 24 schools during his tenure. 在与爱德华L. 圣斯蒂芬斯牧师. Mary’s Church in Alexandria (the oldest Catholic Church in Virginia), Bishop Peter L. 艾尔顿意识到需要一个天主教徒, all-male high school to serve the needs of a booming Northern Virginia area and complement the nearby Catholic school for young women. 这所女子高中, 圣玛丽中学, was a private Alexandria school founded by the Sisters of the Holy Cross in 1869.
在里士满教区的领导下, 艾尔顿主教高中 opened its doors to young men in 1964 and was staffed by the Oblates of St 弗朗西斯·德·萨莱斯. In 1974, 里士满教区被重新配置, and 艾尔顿主教高中 became part of the Diocese of Arlington. In 1990, 艾尔顿主教高中 became a co-educational institution in response to the closing of St. 玛丽学院. The administration worked closely with the Sisters of the Holy Cross to ensure a smooth transition for the students. Enrollment grew and facilities increased with the addition of a new auditorium wing and several new classrooms.
圣. 弗朗西斯·德·萨莱斯 announced their last year on staff in 2008, and the “Live Jesus Charter” was implemented to maintain traditions and the school’s Salesian spirituality. 在教区的指导下, 艾尔顿主教高中’s lay professionals continued leading with outstanding academics while also infusing the curriculum and activities with Salesian charism. In 2013, the Diocese of Arlington transitioned all high school leadership to a Head of School-Principal model, and 艾尔顿主教高中 operates under that model to this day. 学校建了一座新的学术大楼, 前门和2020年翻新的运动翼, and continues to expand its academic support 服务s while remaining steeped in tradition and Salesian spirituality.
半个多世纪以来, 艾尔顿主教高中 has provided a first-class Catholic education to over 10,000名青年男女, teaching them to “Advance Always” and “Live Jesus” through the charism of St. 弗朗西斯·德·萨莱斯. 艾尔顿主教高中 cherishes the sacred dignity of every individual and values the contributions of all school community members. We strive for academic excellence rooted in Catholic social justice teaching, with a shared sense of belonging and the understanding that cultural and racial diversity enriches the quality of our learning, 信仰, 奖学金, 服务与领导. The faculty and administration continually strive to teach and live the core Gospel values, and emphasize the humble spirit of “the gentleman saint.”
- Daily recitation of the Salesian Direction of Intention prayer
- 圣. 弗朗西斯·德·萨莱斯通过我们的宗教课程, 撤退, 整个建筑的质量和图像
- Maintain and provide instruction on the Live Jesus Charter, which is visible in every classroom throughout the school
- Annual selection of a student Salesian leadership team, with student leaders providing monthly reflections on Salesian values for the student body
- Student participation in Salesian Leadership Camp in Michigan and Salesian trips to Annecy, 夏天的法国
- Student participation in DeSales Service Works retreat program in Camden, 全年都在新泽西
- 校友, student and faculty-written Salesian reflections included in various publications throughout the school year
- Maintain an ongoing relationship with the Oblates through our Salesian Discipleship Team, 群众和事件, 校友活动, and through community financial support of the Oblate Retirement Fund
- Award the Salesian Medal to faculty and students on the Feast of St. 弗朗西斯·德·萨莱斯和毕业练习时